Articles & Notices
Although the development of Ingleby Barwick, as it stands today, did not start until the late 1970's, the land has been occupied for thousands of years, with excavation works at Ingleby Barwick in 1979 unveiling the earliest finds of man living here. There are traces of human occupation from as far back as the Stone Age.
It may have been that until the 17th century, Ingleby and Barwick were two separate settlements.
During the 17th century, the Turner's of Kirkleatham bought most of Ingleby Barwick. The land remained in the ownership of the Turner's, with profits from the land used to support the free school and hospital at Kirkleatham, until it was sold in the 19th century.
The name Ingleby Barwick is derived from both Viking and Saxon place names. Ingleby is derived from Old Norse Englar+by and means 'farmstead or village of the English man'. Barwick is Saxon in origin, Bere is Saxon for barley and Wick means farm. This suggests that the area was affected by both the Viking and Saxon invasions.
The site was first identified in the 1970's through aerial photography with initial excavation work taking place in that decade. Fieldwalking took place in 1997 and geophysical survey and evaluation trenching was undertaken in 2000.
The site consists of a villa, extensive associated settlement and an enclosure system, which has international significance as the most northerly surviving villa complex in the Roman Empire. The finds from the site provide valuable evidence of the lifestyle of the villa's occupants and include pottery, milling and grinding stones, nails, coins, a brooch and a fragment of an alter.
A portion of the most significant remains have been preserved, with other finds being recorded through excavation and transferred to local museums.
The main villa building is preserved within the village green without excavation. The village green has been deliberately placed over the main villa building and its environs to ensure its preservation for future generations.
During the Second World War, Ingleby Barwick stood near to the south-western perimeter of Thornaby Airfield and, a number of aircraft crashed where Ingleby Barwick housing estate now stands.
On 11th June 1940 a Coastal Command Lockheed Hudson crashed at Quarry Farm killing the four crew after the bomb load exploded on crashing.
On 28th April 1941 a Bristol Blenheim crashed at Barwick Lane killing all three crew.
On 18th December 1941 a Lockheed Hudson stalled soon after take-off and crashed into Quarry Farm killing the five crew and four civilians.
On 4th September 1942 a Lockheed Hudson crashed at Myton House Farm killing the four crew.
The last aircraft accident was a Photo Reconnaissance de Havilland Mosquito which was attempting to land at Thornaby on one engine and crashed into land which is now home to Ingleby Mill School on 11th November 1943 killing both crew members. There is now a stone marking the crash site.
There is a saying, "From little acorns do large oak trees grow" and that is what happened to Ingleby Barwick.
In 1978 outline planning permission was granted for residential development. At that time the area consisted of farms, farmland and derelict scrubland. Preliminary engineering plans were put together in preparation for the first houses, in the summer of 1979.
Development has continued to progress over several decades, with Villages 1 to 5 now complete and Village 6 under construction.
Ingleby Barwick, is within a short drive of the glorious scenery in the North York Moors National Park; not much further from the breathtaking North Yorkshire Dales or, northward to Tyneside, Wearside and Northumberland.
Ingleby Barwick is divided into six 'villages', which are named:
- Sober Hall
- Round Hill
- Broom Hill
- The Rings
Ingleby Barwick has an array of local amenities, which include six primary schools, a secondary school, community hall, church, healthcare facilities, veterinary surgery, four public houses, library, health club, 9 hole golf course (which includes a golf driving range), supermarket and various shops and takeaways.
Romano Park, a play area for children under 14 years, is situated on land adjacent to the Tesco supermarket in the main centre of Ingleby Barwick. A Multi-Use Games Area has also been provided at the location.
There are several other parks and play areas provided within Ingleby Barwick.
In the nearby vicinity of Ingleby Barwick there is a football club and cricket club. Planning permission has also been granted for a new secondary school 'Ingleby Manor Free School and Sixth Form '.
As development progresses there are further facilities to be provided which includes a community centre, etc.
It is also the home to one of the Olympic Golden Postboxes in honour of Kat Copeland's rowing gold at the London Olympics.
Ingleby Barwick Parish Council, formerly Maltby and Ingleby Barwick Parish Council, came into effect on 2nd February 1990, with the first meeting held on 15th February 1990.
Initially, the Parish Council consisted of eight Councillors representing the parish of Ingleby Barwick.
Following the Borough of Stockton-on-Tees (Electoral Changes) Order 2003 which came into force for the borough elections in 2005 and parishes in 2007, this was increased to twelve Councillors in May 2007, with six Councillors representing Ingleby Barwick East and six Councillors representing Ingleby Barwick West.
Ingleby Barwick Parish Council passed a resolution at its meeting in February 2007, under section 245(6) of the Local Government Act 1972 to change its status to 'Town Council'.
In October 2000, Ingleby Barwick Parish Council was presented with the official Coat of Arms by Lord Gisborough, Lieutenant of North Yorkshire, at an event held in the Community Hall.
The most important part of the 'Coat of Arms' is the shield, which is often referred to as 'the arms'. The arms of the Turner family, who have strong links with the parish were a cross with four mill rinds around it. This was the inspiration behind the three mill rinds on the shield.
The gold of the field of the shield is intended as a reference to ripeness and fecundity.
The three wavy blue lines are intended to represent in a highly stylised way, the three rivers that run around Ingleby Barwick: the Tees, the Leven and Bassleton Beck.
The crest is a Teal bird supporting a sheaf of barley. There is a long tradition of pruning in heraldry and the bird is intended as a reference to the horse named Teal which was once trained at Ingleby Barwick and later went on to win the Grand National in 1952. The sheaf of barley represents Barwick/Berwick meaning barley farm.
A helm is common on all coats of men and corporations.
The mantling is actually a cloak which was held on by the wreath and kept the sun off the helm. It became fashionable to show one's mantling battle torn and over time it developed the elaborate form it is shown as having here. Mantling like the helm is common to most coats of arms. Unlike the helm the colours of it vary. Usually it is metal and a colour from the arms.
Motto "Stepping Stones to the Future".